Monday, April 27, 2015

Lewis and Clark should have asked me for help

 This morning was laundry time! It's so nice to have all of my clothes clean (for the moment) So we ended up getting a "late start" 10 am is when "half the day is gone!" according to Brenda. Our first stop was The Coffee Girl for (wait, what?) coffee and some breakfast. Brenda got a drip coffee and a muffin-something (not quite as healthy looking as Seattle's breakfast) and I got a mocha and a lox bagel. Brenda asked "How is yours?" to which I answered "It's not Highliner." Maybe that will be my ultimate quest for this trip. Finding a replacement for my beloved Highliner coffee and bagels.
After coffee the Bumble Bee Cannery "Museum" was right next door. It's a free, self-guided walk through. There was no one there and it was just a little creepy.
On the upside they did have giant tuna cans so.....

Up the hill is The Column...
The outside is decorated in pictures depicting the history of Astoria. Thinking about it now I forgot to look at them because these gliders
Were so distracting. For a dollar you can buy a glider to let go of at the top of the tower. I wrote on mine just in case somebody else found it so they could come read my awesome blog....
Ready for take off!
It did a nose dive then circled around for a few minutes only to land ever so gently on the top of this woman's car.
 She looked up, I waved, then she held onto it for me until I got back to the bottom. Thank you, kind stranger!

From there we went to check out some places we'd seen on maps at the Maritime museum.
My hair was not prepared for the breezy day

Cape Disappointment Lighthouse

My mother is FABulous

I feel my roots showing
Dismal Nitch is an actually quite lovely little area. Lewis and Clark named it and I feel like I could have helped out with the sassy naming of places. I texted that to Rosie and she replied with "Bay Is There A Hotel Somewhere Close By" Yes, I would have served them well... And oh how different these places would be named...
 Cape Disappointment was not disappointing at all! That is until we realized we forgot to take a picture with the sign (the real reason we drove the extra 15 or so miles out there) but there was a nice hike and a good view. 

After our site seeing we went to Fred Meyer to remedy our sleeping pad situation. Two twin air mattresses and a battery powered fan should make our next camping night much nicer. While in line to checkout the woman behind me started asking about my headband and then all of the sudden a stranger is touching my head and asking me questions. What a day.

Dinner at the Travers' house was some awesome tacos tonight! Thank you guys again for the excellent housing! It will be with a heavy heart to leave a house that I know is so nice and clean... But on to the next adventure!

The days have blurred together and I realized earlier tonight that I'd gotten 3 days behind with the blog. Time flys when you're flying by the seat of your pants... That's almost the right saying, right? Something about fun goes in there? It has been very fun and I picture this trip only continuing to get better. 

Tomorrow morning is off to Canon Beach and maybe Tillamook? We'll see how nice the water is tomorrow




No comments:

Post a Comment