Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Four States- One Day

We started off early just before 6 am this morning and went north to Wupatki Trail to see some Indian ruins.
There was a nice path to walk around the area, it's pretty big.
An ancient Indian symbol for "Keep your grubby feet off my rocks"
They were growing pencils by the visitors center! (Just kidding?)

Next was the Navajo National Monument 
The cave in the middle has more dwellings, but you can't hike down to them (without breaking any rules) but the view was awesome and there was a pair of binoculars to get a closer look.

 Then to Four Corners!
When we got there it was full of people and I was being self conscious about my planned pose, but while I was procrastinating taking center stage a huge HUGE sand storm started blowing through. It was raining sideways and sand was flying all around so it cleared out within seconds. So no one was around to witness this...(thank goodness) but you get the photo evidence!
Brenda and I switched-
Then got out of there as fast as we could. I've got sand in my ears and nose and mouth and eyes and hair and stuck to every surface pretty much... My camera got a nice cleaning once we got back into the car.
Welcome! Have some sideways rain, thunder and lightning!
I saw my first tumble weed today and (just maybe) was a bit too excited. Is cheering a natural reation?
Driving got scary for a bit... We really should have gotten those new windshield wiper blades...
But we made it through to Durango! The lightning means that we get a hotel for the night :)
So thanks weather! A shower was much needed after the dust bath this afternoon.

Dinner at The Diamond Belle Saloon. "Siri who has the best burger in Durango Colorado?" Well Siri, you done good kid. The waitresses were dressed in saloon attire (corsets and garters galore) and my burger was pretty delicious.
We plan to explore downtown Durango tomorrow morning, it looked pretty cute through the rain so we'll poke around before we head..... North!

What? Cassie, I thought the roadtrip was going in backwards order now? And I am very carefully following along with the list from Brenda's Blog and northern Colorado is not on the list.

Well, I'm glad you can pay such close attention, but the original "plan" has turned into more of a say... guideline? As we were discussing tomorrows plans this evening Brenda asked "Is there anything that you really wanted to see in New Mexico?" and there really wasn't.
As we were talking a weather advisory popped up on the tv about flash flooding in New Mexico-- So! North we go and at some point we'll make it back down through Texas.








2 comments:

  1. have you ever seen the show dicemen,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siri knows everything.... How could we ever eat or sleep without her?

    ReplyDelete